Secondary School Guidance
We start preparing our children for secondary school from the day they join St Michael’s by:
- Developing children’s confidence year on year through our extensive curriculum, clubs and activities
- Working closely with our local authority Haringey and adjoining authorities where our families live, such as Camden, Islington and Barnet, to assist parents with the application process.
- Building strong links with a wide range of secondary schools – academies, foundations, voluntary-aided, independent, girls’, boys’ and mixed schools – in both the state and independent sector.
Secondary school transfer process
We support all our families in making their choice for their child’s future secondary school. This is our process:
- Each September, Year 4 and 5 parents receive a copy of our Secondary School Information Pamphlet, outlining the support we offer.
- Each May, Year 4 and 5 parents receive a Secondary School Information Booklet (CLICK TO DOWNLOAD). It contains information about the schools that former pupils have attended, the number of offers received, and scholarships awarded.
- Each June, we hold an information evening about the range of secondary schools and the application process for Year 4 and 5 parents. (A representative from Haringey Local Education Authority attends to explain the state school application process.)
- During their child’s Year 5 summer term and Year 6 autumn term, parents visit secondary schools.
- Applications for state grammar secondary schools are made in the Year 5 summer term.
- Each October, Year 6 parents are offered individual consultations. A focus on each child is a face-to-face meeting with the Deputy Headteacher of Key Stage 2, who will provide guidance tailored for the child and advice and support for parents through the process.
- For Year 6 children with additional needs, we invite parents and the Secondary School Inclusion Leader (SENCO) to take part in the Annual Review of the Statement/Education Health and Care plan. The child and Learning Support Assistant complete a transition program, then visit the new secondary together to provide a smooth transition.
- Each summer term, we prepare full handover information forms and references, facilitate secondary staff visits and pupil visits to their new schools to ensure our children leave St Michael’s feeling confident about the next stage of their educational journey.
“I wanted to thank you again for the help you have given us in discussing all the options going forward, and even now taking such time and care as we approach the end of the journey. It is much appreciated.” – Year 6 Parent